Am I Data?: LJ2

     The readings from We Are Data Algorithms and the Making of our Digital Selves by John Cheney-Lippold (2019) posed very interesting and thought-provoking ideas and questions. As someone who has struggled with identity and has finally settled into an identity that I find comfortable and that portrays me in a way I like to be portrayed, the idea that this identity does not matter to algorithms and that algorithms could misgender, misidentify, and mislabel me is rather uncomfortable (p. 8). I often do not try to give much thought to stereotypically masculine or feminine things, instead enjoying what I enjoy, as I find that the internet and real life allows me to present myself as whatever I'd like despite my varied activities and hobbies. I immediately became curious as to what my personalized advertising profile was like, checking the link provided by Cheney-Lippold (2019), but Google did not show the gender it supposed me to be (p. 6). Knowing that Google and other data collection services will identify me based on my searches and habits makes me a bit wary about what I do online. It makes me want to act more masculine and consume only stereotypically masculine things. It makes me feel anxious about how online services view me, as I have no control over it. However, I will not allow this to affect my habits and will continue to be me. 

    Professionally, I don't believe this has much bearing on me. I do not use my real identity for my non-professional internet use, so I feel like I have a lot more control on my professional image online. It only pushes me to keep my profession and personal internet identities as separate as possible. When I looked to see if I was considered "not famous" by Google as defined by Cheney-Lippold (2019), I did not see the indication that my information was being removed, but overall there was very little personal information about me on my search (p. x). It mainly consisted of others with similar names. Again, this is because I put a lot of effort into keeping my real identity to a minimum online. 

    The ethics of identifying people based on their internet use are quite sketchy. Not only does it have to deal with privacy and anonymity, but it also includes thoughts about identity, stereotypes, and the LGBTQ+ community. Because gender is only set as percent male or percent female, as Cheney-Lippold (2019) states, it completely negates the idea of nonbinary or agender individuals (p. 28). The use of habits to guess a person's identity also enforces gender, race, ethnicity, and age stereotypes (p. 19). 


Bibliography: 

Cheney-Lippold, J. (2019). We are data algorithms and the making of our Digital Selves. New York University Press. 

Comments

  1. Hi Mikael, I really enjoyed how you brought up the need to act more masculine online because of the worry of being misgendered or misidentified online. It feels like you have to act a certain way or be interested in certain things so that you are not grouped into a category you might not identify with. It is really sad because people should be able to enjoy things that make them happy without being worried of how they might be judged and identified by an algorithm. In a way when we are online, we are not who we think we are, we are whatever identity we are assigned (Cheney-Lippold, 2017, p. 5). These algorithms go through all of this trouble to identify us just so they can market their products. It really shows how these companies will do anything to make more money. I also loved that you mentioned you will not change your browsing habits after knowing this information because I could not agree more. While I may not agree with the system of misidentifying individuals, I will not change my habits to fit in to their cookie cutter view of what websites or viewing habits are for which type of people. Lastly, I was wondering what you mean when you say you do not use your real name for non-professional internet use? Do you use a fake name or just browse without being signed into anything? All of this being said, I really liked reading your view on the material and look forward to seeing more of your blog posts in the future, have a great week!


    Bibliography:

    Cheney-Lippold, J. (2017). We Are Data: Algorithms and the Making of Our Digital Selves. New York University Press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mikael, I really enjoyed your blog post and had very similar views. No person should have to fit into a stereotype or feel to be more feminine or masculine. This honestly reminds me of sororities and how everyone has to fit into this same tiny box. I feel that this article would make someone feel even more confused on the process of finding their true identity. Sometimes people are scared to express their true selves because they are supposed to fit into this tiny stereotyped box. I really appreciate that even after this article you are still so supportive of your own identity and I want you to know that it makes me fell a lot better about keeping my identity true. I have seen a lot of videos on how our browsing searches help companies advertise and how you can click one video just because it looks interesting and then later all your ads are tailored to that one topic. The online world is a very scary place and no one wants to be put in a box where they are supposed to act, talk, or express themselves in one way. I really look forward to reading more of your blog and hope you have a great semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with a lot of what you said, and you have made many good points. It is good to feel comfortable with your personal identity, and having an algorithm determine what the "data you" will be can rub off some discomfort. I would Like to search up what I want without having an algorithm turning me into a young adult female if I decide to shop for my girlfriend online.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mikael,

    I really enjoyed reading your entry! When I was younger, I did not use my real identity on my personal profiles as I do now. I do agree that identifying someone based of the data used from the internet is not ethical at all and can cause someone to lose themselves and become who the data algorithms expect them to be. The biggest stereotype is what the internet defines you as and can be misled in many ways. I am glad to see that even after reading We Are Data Algorithms you will not let this phase you and continue to be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very insightful journal Mikael. I cant help but think that as soon as the data giants begin to define non binary genders you can bet they will eventually use those to also target ads, products, and experiences that will make money with those audiences as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mikael,
    This is a very thoughtful response. I really liked how you mentioned that you feel wary after knowing the Google and other data collection services will identify you based on your searches. I also liked how you included that even though we are aware of this issue we don't have to let it affect us in any way. We just have to be responsible and know how to navigate through social media responsibly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Lawless Land: LJ6

Memories in Photos: LJ5