Memories in Photos: LJ5

 The reading from Kray et al. (2009) made me think this week. I had never before considered how the experience of sharing photos digitally versus physically could be different. Having grown up in the junction between physical and digital photo sharing, with my younger years consisting of physical copies of photos saved in albums and my current life being dominated by technology and digital sharing, I am completely accustomed to both modes of sharing images. To me, passing a phone with an image around is no different than passing around a physical print of a photograph. However, Kray et al. (2009) draws a distinct difference between these experiences that I honestly cannot fully grasp even after reading the article. The thought of technology image sharing being "cold" and "impersonal" (Kray et al. 2009) is not something I had thought of before and while I can understand Kray et al.'s claim that "the requirement for a degree of technical understanding, which may exclude people from older generations" (2009) is absolutely correct when involving photo sharing software or websites, I have trouble understanding how it is different to look at an image on a phone screen, especially when a specific folder to be looked through is already pulled up. This alternate perspective from people who have had a longer and more intimate relationship with physical photos is interesting and makes me think differently when sharing images to my older relatives through text messages or by showing them my phone. I do think the readings glossed over the benefits technology can have when it comes to sharing photos, though. Even though new technology can be difficult for older users, it can also benefit them with the option to zoom in on images. Digital photos could be easier for everyone, especially those with disabilities, to see details and view larger images. 

Thinking on accessibility of digital photos versus physical photos, in any future work with social media and content creation I would want to focus on helping everyone see images and experience them to their fullest. Offering large photos with high resolution on platforms that allow for zooming in would help those with visual impairments see the contents of photos better, and including instructions for how to zoom in on images in their descriptions would likely help people better interact with them. Because photo sharing has become a mass act and companies, businesses, and organizations do not have the luxury to send out print photos to those interested, working to streamline the viewing process and increase ease of access should be the priority when trying to share pictures both in a mass setting or just to family members.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikael, I could not agree more that while some may see sharing photos digitally as cold or disconnected I think it is simply a generational or age issue. This sounds like a similar point that was discussed in the reading from the Journal of Visual Culture which explains that sharing photos digitally has made taking and sharing photos feel less special and rarefied and more about immediate and fleeting discoveries (Murray, 2008). The same people that say that are often older and I feel as if they are resisting technology and not considering the many benefits it can have for them while viewing photos like being able to zoom in and see photos better like you said. I think that people born from around 1995 - 2003 have a very neutral view as they can recall sharing photos both physically and digitally. This allows them to have a better appreciation for both methods of photo-sharing. I also liked that you mentioned how digitally sharing high-resolution photos can have many positive effects on individuals with visual impairments. Before digital photos, those with visual impairments undoubtedly had a rough time viewing photos to their full extent, but thanks to being able to zoom in on digital photos they are able to view photos in a much better capacity. Overall, I really enjoyed your unique take on the benefits of digitally sharing photos and how it can help photos be more easily accessible and viewable to those with visual impairments.

    References

    Murray, S. (2008). Digital images, photo-sharing, and our shifting notions of everyday aesthetics. Journal of Visual Culture, 7(2), 147–163. https://doi.org/10.1177/1470412908091935

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that article interesting as well. Back when I was a kid all I remember was looking through the physical photo albums of me as a baby or other family members. Now everything is digital and to me seems no different now. I can understand how it can be "impersonal" but in this age I dont think it makes a difference. Reading the article also makes me want to take more physical pictures just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mikael,

    While reading through your journal, I also found it very interesting about how exactly photos digitally versus physically taken and shared could be different. When I initially think about photo-sharing or just taking photos in general, I do not think about the endless possibilities with social media and content creation. Reading your journal made me realize that photo and video sharing plays a bigger role in society than I initially thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also liked your take on how digitally sharing high-resolution photos can have many positive effects on individuals with visual impairments. Before digital photos, those with visual impairments had a rougher time viewing photos to their full extent, but thanks to being able to zoom in on digital photos they are now able to view photos in a much better capacity. Overall, I really enjoyed your unique take on the benefits of digitally sharing photos and how it can help photos be more easily accessible and viewable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mikael, I share your sentiment as I once also grew up in an era where physical photos and film rolls were still dominating. Fast forward a decade and a half later and photos start to only exist in digital forms, either on smartphones or high-end cameras. It is true that we lost some of the magic that physical item possessed back then, but in return, images that are taken with modern equipment nowadays are not only quicker, but also in much higher quality and resolution as well. I love how you gave a realistic scenario where high resolution can aid people with vision impairment to better interact with the images. And with the advancement and popularization of photo sharing websites. People in all corner of the world can enjoy these beautifully taken images whenever they want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With technology growing an improving everyday, your goals for higher quality photos and more accessibility may be achieved soon. I too agree that it would be beneficial to see photos clearer and be able to interact with them more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Lawless Land: LJ6